Help with translation, please

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Sep 6 00:33:11 UTC 2005

I am translating 19th C. Jewish birth registrations from the Pale of
Settlement.
  I find in a document I am working on the term "shkol'nik" used for adult
witnesses
aged 58 and 67.  I suspect that these witnesses are employees of the
synagogue (shul), and the
term shkol'nik was the Russian translation (if anyone actually used it) for
a shamus (beadle).
Can anyone confirm this or correct it?  Modern dictionaries do not even
give shkola as a Russian rendering
of shul, but it would be parallel with German and Italian (scuola), so I
suppose it could have been a hyper-learned
usage...
Jules Levin