Help with translation, please

Tue Sep 6 01:09:04 UTC 2005

Jules Levin wrote:

> I am translating 19th C. Jewish birth registrations from the Pale of
> Settlement.
>
> I find in a document I am working on the term "shkol'nik" used for
> adult witnesses aged 58 and 67. I suspect that these witnesses are
> employees of the synagogue (shul), and the term shkol'nik was the
> Russian translation (if anyone actually used it) for a shamus
> (beadle).
>
> Can anyone confirm this or correct it? Modern dictionaries do not
> even give shkola as a Russian rendering of shul, but it would be
> parallel with German and Italian (scuola), so I suppose it could have
> been a hyper-learned usage...

Not sure what your source language is -- Russian? If so, I'm sure you
know that "shkol'nik" in current usage would be anomalous because a
Russian hears "shkola" as a grammar school.

However, etymologically, there is no doubt that it is cognate with En
school, De Schule, Fr école, Sp escuela, It scuola, etc. etc.

So perhaps a Russian clerk with some knowledge of German mistook "shul"
as a false friend?

It would certainly be easier to help if you provided more than an
isolated word. Can you show it in context?

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com