two questions in the translation realm

Kenneth Brostrom ad5537 at WAYNE.EDU
Fri Sep 9 10:05:55 UTC 2005

>Dear Seelangers!
>I am working on some translations from Ukrainian into English for my
>Master's Thesis at UNL. Hilda Raz and Mila Saskova-Pierce suggested
>I post my questions here:
>
>1) a technical question: how do you translate the verb "materit'sia"
>(to curse in the uniquely Russian manner) into English? I have a
>good dictionary, but it has very proper sensibilities....

I think this question depends upon context.  A very recent response
to this question from Birmingham, England suggested a phrase that
would be meaningless to Americans.  If I might return to the ancient
past, I spent some time in the late sixties discussing translation
with my mentor at Oxford, the memorable Max Hayward.  We talked about
many details of what is commonly known as the mid-Atlantic style.

In translation, context is everything.  If you are looking for an
English equivalent of this verb that includes the notion of the
mother, and that lexicographers would accept, you have a problem.
However, in particular contexts, African American English (a culture
that values the mother in terms comparable to the Russian tradition)
has expressions that you might use, and they would be understood
immediately by every native speaker of English.

Ken Brostrom

--
Kenneth Brostrom, Assoc. Prof. of Russian
Dept. of German and Slavic Studies
email: kenneth.brostrom at wayne.edu
telephone: 313-577-6238