two questions in the translation realm

Russell Valentino russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Fri Sep 9 14:16:19 UTC 2005

Another, similar, way to approach this is to look for works, similar in voice,
register, etc., that have been published in English and collect examples. I
don't know the register of the text in question, but I seem to recall some long
cursing-contest passages (with mothers involved), along explanations of the
method/art, in Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. I'm sure there are other
examples from more contemporary lit.