two questions in the translation realm

Nina Shevchuk n_shevchuk at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 9 15:34:35 UTC 2005

Dear colleagues:
Thank you all very much for your responses - the issue of cursing, specifically Russian cursing, is not one that can be resolved once and for all, but I think with your help I'll be making a good attempt at it.
The series of poems I am translating is entitled "Letters from Moscow," and the subject of the series is a Ukrainian's sojourn in Moscow in the early 90s and his subsequent return/escape to Ukraine. Throughout the series, Andrukhovych uses russian words in Ukrainian spelling to reflect and mourn the alienation of his own Ukrainian identity. I've been operating on the assumption that if English replaces Ukrainian in the translated text, than Russian words have to be morphed either into another, more or less recognizeable language (e.g. Spanish) or a variety of English (as some of you helpfully suggested, African American English). Both solutions would work mostly for the American audience, though... and I am not familiar enough with the African-American variety (working, as fate would have it, in Nebraska).
This is a fascinating conversation, though. If anyone finds an example of how this might be negotiated, please let me know. I promise to post the final version of the poem in question :))

Thank you all very much again,

Nina M.