New vernacular architecture materials on line

nataliek at UALBERTA.CA nataliek at UALBERTA.CA
Tue Sep 20 03:01:13 UTC 2005

  Dear Colleagues,

  I am writing to announce several major additions to our website.
We have not added anything for a while because we were hoping to
switch to a marvelous new template designed for us by Academic
Technologies for Learning at the University of Alberta.  The switch
has not happened, but the material we brought back from Ukraine is
just too good not to put up, even if it is on our old, clunky page.
Please go to www.arts.ualberta.ca/uvp/[1].  There we have material we
collected this summer.  There are four village church panoramas.  Four
church types are featured: a newly built church in the village of
Ploske near Nizhen, a church that was made out of a converted
schoolhouse (Dobranychivka, near Iahotyn), an old wooden church in
Velykyi Khutir, south of Drabiv, which functioned continuously, even
during Soviet rule, and an old brick church in Iavorivka, north of
Drabiv, which is only now being restored.  We tried to give a full
range of church types in the Central Ukraine area.  All church are
3-D: you can “move” around inside the panorama.  All churches have
clickable icons, though I have not had a chance to label them yet.  In
addition to the churches, we did panoramas of various village
house types.  In Ploske, we took one of a very old, traditional house
(the Kompanets house).  Then there is a newer traditional house, 2
rooms instead of one (the Perepchai house).  Finally, there is a
house that is typical of most houses in Ploske (the Litovka house).
In the village of Iavorivka we photographed the house of a prosperous
peasant (the Kapas house).  Again, all are 3-D and clickable.  Here,
as with the churches, we were trying to produce a sampling of types.

  We hope you enjoy this new material and use it for your research
and teaching.  Feedback is most welcome.  Contact me at the address
below or write to Peter Holloway.  His e-mail is
peter.holloway at ualberta.ca[2].

  One last note is a word of thanks to the University of Alberta for
purchasing the equipment we used.   Natalie Kononenko
Kule Chair of Ukrainian Ethnography
University of Alberta
Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
200 Arts Building