STALINKA

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Mon Sep 26 18:28:01 UTC 2005

Dear Alina,

You are absolutely right.  But, in addition, "Life is Beautiful" is a
work of art, and artistic license is at least theoretically possible.  I
know many Jews who found the film unobjectionable, but I do understand
that actual concentration camp survivors and those close to them find it
horrifying.

As for "Stalinka," however, it claims to be an educational site, not a
work of art.  Artistic license is therefore completely inappropriate,
and the name should be changed to something scholarly, solid, and neutral.

Of course there are postmodernist scholars who think that such language
play is ok even in educational and scholarly contexts.  Maybe so, but
not when the play is at the psychological expense of Stalin's victims
and those close to the victims.

So, I am still waiting for 1) an apology, and 2) a new name from those
who constructed the "Stalinka" site.

Regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere
Emeritus Professor of Russian