Stalinka

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Mon Sep 26 20:18:44 UTC 2005

While I cannot claim to fit into the category of
survivor, they constitute a significant population of
the community I live in (and the family I married
into), and not all of them were horrified by the films
under discussion.  I am sympathetic to the
psychological impact argument; however, if we base our
notions of academic propriety on it (or our conception
of same), would that make a site glorifying Stalin
acceptable in 50 years when all his victims will be
dead and their psyches not available for trauma?  The
yardstick should be whether the site inappropriately
glorifies the atrocities represented by Stalin and
dismisses or demeans his victims, and on that point I
think reasonable minds could differ (and obviously
they do!)

Just as a random additional thought, are educational
material and work of art really mutually exclusive
categories?
Respectfully, Deborah