More questions on Onegin

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Tue Apr 4 06:51:28 UTC 2006

Dear Svetlana,

Why would homosexuality be something a country maiden NOT be aware of?
Why assume the woman is not bright enough to know or imagine certain
things (a sexist assumption)?  Why would homosexuality only be an urban
thing? (it exists even in preindustrial cultures, and has been
documented by anthropologists worldwide: see the chapter titled "The
Homosexual Hominid," in my _Signs of the Flesh_ (Mouton de Gruyter,
1985; reprinted by Indiana University Press, 1992).

But of course, we are dealing with a literary work, and you are asking a
question about authorial intention (sometimes denigrated as "the
intentional fallacy").  As I say in the essay, we cannot know for sure
what Pushkin intended (consciously or unconsciously) by the violent
finale of that dream - except for the obvious prophecy of a conflict
with Lensky, noted by many critics.  But, assuming that _Tat'iana_
cannot see into the future her author creates for her, and viewing the
upshot of the dream from _her_ current viewpoint (which would be the way
a feminist ought to proceed), and, finally, interpreting the dream in
the customary psychoanalytic fashion as a "wish-fulfillment," then the
SUDDEN CHANGE from the imagery of violent heterosexual defloration
earlier in the dream (the standard folkloric imagery of the dangerous
bear-groom, the tearing off of Tat'iana's ear-rings, the khoboty krivye,
khvosty khokhlatye, klyki, usy, krovavy iazyki....etc.) to a NEW
male-on-male violence instead - is motivated.  Alas, the beloved Onegin
suddenly stabs Lensky instead of "stabbing" Tat'iana.

By the way, I would be pleased to hear alternative interpretations of
the climax of Tat'iana's dream; and also why they would necessarily
exclude the above interpretation.

On the other hand, perhaps we are all very sick of Eugene Onegin.

Cheers,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere