More questions on Onegin

Svetlana Grenier greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Mon Apr 3 22:29:39 UTC 2006

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere wrote:

>   Historical studies of dandyism have drawn a connection between
> dandyism and homosexual or bisexual orientation (although not in 100%
> of the cases).  Most importantly, from Tat'iana's perspective (SHE it
> is who has the famous dream in which she tries to explain to herself
> why Onegin rejects her), Onegin must be more interested in men than in
> women as sexual objects.  After all, she has her own narcissism to
> look after, and she has just received a terrible narcissistic injury
> (recall the mirror SHE puts under her pillow just before the dream).

This presupposes that a provincial young maiden like Tatiana would be
aware of homosexuality.  How likely is that?  (My own guess would be:
not very!) And how likely is it that Pushkin meant her to have such an
"insight"?

Svetlana Grenier