MGU Russian program

Matthew Herrington herrington.matthew at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 4 17:08:58 UTC 2006

Dear Marci,

I've studied at MGU for the past two summers, once in a program organized by
Florida State University (using MGU language instructors) and once on my own
on a FLAS Fellowship.  The first year I was in group instruction with
American students and the second year in private instruction.

I highly suggest against group instruction at MGU and highly suggest
individual instruction.  In my experience it's better to pay extra for
individual instruction and simply take fewer hours, if money is a factor.
The instructors are flexible and accomodating.  I spent all of last summer
reading nothing but Pushkin and my teacher had a blast...literature was a
nice change for her.  Also, with individual instruction your schedule is
more flexible which will allow you to get out early every day to make it to
the archive.

One word of warning though: Go through the MGU philological faculty itself
and not another company that arranges lessons at or around MGU...there are a
lot of imposters (and they can even arrange housing in MGU dormitories) and,
from what I know of them, students have been disappointed.  Ziegler may be
one of them. I don't know the website you need off the top of my head but
the name of the director of the Russian for foreigners program at MGU is
Georgii Moskvin.

Best,
Matt