MGU Russian program

Katherine Crosswhite crosswhi at RICE.EDU
Tue Apr 4 17:58:32 UTC 2006

Years ago, I also went to MGU for a summer language program.  I also
went directly through the philological faculty, and would recommend
that.  The website is:

http://www.philol.msu.ru/eng/edu/courses/

I'm sure it will be cheaper than going through a third party, you'll be
assured that everything is on the up and up, and you'll also be working
directly with very friendly and helpful people.

I was there a long time ago, when this program was very new, so things
might have changed slightly by now, but here's my take:

The instructors were wonderful -- massive experience and education, very
friendly and excited to work with you.  Our instructors were either
actual MGU faculty in the Russian for Foreigners department (the
equivalent of our TESOL departments), or their advanced graduate
students.  I don't think you could get better instructors.  The
administrators of the program, Georgii Moskvin and Evgeny Korneev were
also great and very helpful.  I don't think their website emphasizes it
enough -- they will work with you to give you the program you want to
have.  For example, when not a lot of students were turning up for the
"cultural program" outings, they got them together and asked "What *do*
you want to go see?"  The next week, in response, an outing to the
former KGB building/museum was organized, which was a big hit with all
the undergraduates who were there.  If there is anything that is
important to you that isn't offered/mentioned in the standard program,
just ask about it.  For example, I found out after I got there that I
could have had a phone in my dorm room if I had asked -- I had just
assumed it wasn't possible because it wasn't included in the "standard"
room.  (I think the standard room now might come with a phone, but
ask.)  When I asked about internet access, they also figured out where I
could do that on campus.  (Again, probably a standard thing now, but
ask.)  A lot of the people there might be part of a group organized by
some specific American / British / other university, but there may also
be individual students such as yourself.

I signed up for the group study option, but it turned out there were so
few people in the "advanced" group that it worked out to be pretty
similar to one-on-one instruction anyway.  I get the impression they may
have more students now, so it may be worthwhile to do the individual
study option.

Best,

Katherine.