Bible Reception Again

Alexander Kulik AKULIK at MSCC.HUJI.AC.IL
Fri Apr 7 09:19:00 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues,

I am very grateful for the responses to my question on the reception of
the Bible in Russia. However, I am afraid, I was not clear enough. I did
not mean the history of the Bible translations and publishing, but rather
its reception as reflected in modern (18th-20th cent.) literature,
painting, music, etc. Did anyone try to accumulate representation of
biblical images and motifs in these arts and to trace the origins of these
images, etc., i.e., what goes back to the Russian Church traditions, what
to Western mediators, etc. I know only the recent Kievan anthology on the
Bible in Russian poetry. Is there anything else (studies, collections)? I
will be gratefull for any hint.

Best,

Alexander Kulik
Department of Russian and Slavic Studies
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Mt. Scopus 91905 Israel