Detectability of Onegin's latent homosexuality, Martha Fiennes and my "A"

Matthew Herrington herrington.matthew at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 10 06:25:50 UTC 2006

Dear Maryna,

Are you so completely "sexually underdevelopped" that you
equate homosexuality with transvestitism, or are you just trying to be
offensive?

Despite what you may have learned in you class on EO, Pushkin clearly makes
Onegin a bit of a dandy.  With dandyism comes lots of associations and
sexual ambiguity is among them.

That said, it does seem quite heavy-handed (and pointless) to refer to a
fictional character's "latent homosexuality"; acknowledging the ambiguity
and addressing the multiple levels of sexual attraction that may or may not
be discerned in the text seems sufficient.

Matthew Herrington

PS- And to answer your question, I don't know how come you got an A.