материально-те хническая база

Mon Apr 10 18:34:21 UTC 2006

Michael Denner wrote:

> So, Paul, I have to ask: Why did Steve's _original_ subject line come
> across on my mail program (Outlook) as "hash" [which word, by the
> way, to my Midwestern ear connotes nothing but wholesome goodness,
> but we'll leave that dog lie sleeping], but in your RE his (quoted)
> subject came through as Cyrillic? Did Steve's message subject appear
> as hash or Cyrillic for you, when you received it? Did you re-enter
> the subject line? What explains that the response to his message was
> correctly encoded when his original came through mangled?

When Steve's original message arrived here, Mozilla 1.7.11 displayed the
subject line correctly. Apparently it complied enough with the W3C
rules, so Mozilla could interpret it. For those who are curious, his
program sent the following code (indents and line breaks are mine):
	Subject: [SEELANGS]
	=?windows-1251?Q?=EC=E0=F2=E5=F0=E8=E0=EB=FC=ED=EE-
	=F2=E5=F5=ED=E8=F7=E5=F1=EA=E0=FF_=E1=E0=E7=E0?=
and Mozilla converted that to human-readable form.

However, when I clicked "Reply," the subject came out:
where "<?>" represents a single character -- a white question mark in a
black diamond. I suspect the problem was the mismatch between
Windows-1251 encoding of the subject and Unicode (UTF-8) encoding of the
message body; I'm not enough of an expert to say for sure. I *can* say
as a user, however, that if I manually select the encoding for a message
with such a mismatch, Mozilla follows orders and displays both subject
and body in the same encoding, turning one or the other to hash.

At any rate, when I saw the garbled subject line as I was composing my
reply, I went back to his message, clicked and dragged over the subject
line, and copy/pasted into my reply. This produced the same display on
my machine, but a different underlying code:
	Subject: Re: [SEELANGS]
	=?UTF-8?Q?=D0=BC=D0=B0=D1=82=D0=B5=D1=80=D0=B8=D0=B0=D0
	=BB=D1=8C=D0=BD=D0=BE-=D1=82=D0=B5=D1=85=D0=BD_=D0=B8=D1
	=87=D0=B5=D1=81=D0=BA=D0=B0=D1=8F_=D0=B1=D0=B0=D0=B7=D0=B0?=
As you can see, both the subject and the message body are now in Unicode.

Finally, your MS Exchange sent both subject and body in KOI8-R, and that
also works for my Mozilla:
	Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] =?koi8-r?Q?=CD=C1=D4=C5=D2=C9=C1=CC
	=D8=CE=CF-=D4=C5=C8=CE_=C9=DE=C5=D3=CB=C1=D1_=C2=C1=DA=C1?=

Mozilla recognizes your encoding and will send this reply in KOI8-R. I
hope that works, too.

> I never know when to type a subject line in Cyrillic, so usually I
> just transcribe it, but I HATE transliteration (as anyone who has
> read the stylesheet to the Tolstoy Studies Journal knows).

Mm-hm. In my case, I was pleasantly surprised that it had come through,
so I went ahead and tried it in my reply.

> As soon as I think I have Unicode and ASCII figured out, I'm
> confronted with another mystery or miracle.

Mm-hm.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com