материально-техн ическая база

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Mon Apr 10 16:40:09 UTC 2006

So, Paul, I have to ask: Why did Steve's _original_ subject line come across on my mail program (Outlook) as "hash" [which word, by the way, to my Midwestern ear connotes nothing but wholesome goodness, but we'll leave that dog lie sleeping], but in your RE his (quoted) subject came through as Cyrillic? Did Steve's message subject appear as hash or Cyrillic for you, when you received it? Did you re-enter the subject line? What explains that the response to his message was correctly encoded when his original came through mangled?

I never know when to type a subject line in Cyrillic, so usually I just transcribe it, but I HATE transliteration (as anyone who has read the stylesheet to the Tolstoy Studies Journal knows).

As soon as I think I have Unicode and ASCII figured out, I'm confronted with another mystery or miracle.

Best,
mad
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
   Dr. Michael A. Denner
   Editor, Tolstoy Studies Journal
   Director, University Honors Program

   Contact Information:
      Russian Studies Program
      Stetson University
      Campus Box 8361
      DeLand, FL 32720-3756
      386.822.7381 (department)
      386.822.7265 (direct line)
      386.822.7380 (fax)
      www.stetson.edu/~mdenner

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list [mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Paul B. Gallagher
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 11:33 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] материально-техн ическая база

Steve Marder wrote:

> Can anyone come up with a convincing equivalent in English for
> материально-техническая база (material'no-tekhnicheskaya baza)?
> (Please: NOT "material and technical base (or: basis)"!)

I've mostly seen "infrastructure" (already suggested) in the better
translations, and I agree with it.

In a military context, the related term материально-техническое
снабжение (МТС) would be "logistical support."

P.S. In general, anything beyond the original 127 characters of low
ASCII in the subject line of an email is asking for trouble -- some
email programs are fine with it, and some turn it to hash, and some mail
servers also turn it to hash even if both users' programs are fine with
it. So you should generally transliterate or omit accented characters.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com