Infrastruktura = material'no-tekhnicheskaya baza?

Kim Braithwaite kbtrans at COX.NET
Mon Apr 10 23:28:11 UTC 2006

The English word "infrastructure" aside, do Russians discern a difference between the terms инфраструктура (infrastruktura) and материально-техническая база (material'no-tekhnicheskaya baza), or do they pretty much cover the same ground? In other words might MTB bear the same relation to infrastruktura that e.g. the once common term ЭВМ (EVM) does to the newer компьютер (komp'yuter)? Just curious. It's been years since I last encountered EVM, but infrastruktura and MTB both come up fairly often. The monolingual Russian references I have give excellent definitions for infrastruktura but have no entry for MTB (there must be one somewhere).

Thanks for any input. Kim etc.....