Infrastruktura = material'no-tekhnicheskaya baza?

Steve Marder asred at COX.NET
Mon Apr 10 23:40:10 UTC 2006

Hi, Kim,

Apologies for not actually addressing a major question in your previous
e-mail.

> The English word "infrastructure" aside, do Russians discern a difference
> between the terms инфраструктура (infrastruktura) and материально-техническая
> база (material'no-tekhnicheskaya baza), or do they pretty much cover the same
> ground? In other words might MTB bear the same relation to infrastruktura that
> e.g. the once common term ЭВМ (EVM) does to the newer компьютер (komp'yuter)?
> Just curious. It's been years since I last encountered EVM, but infrastruktura
> and MTB both come up fairly often. The monolingual Russian references I have
> give excellent definitions for infrastruktura but have no entry for MTB (there
> must be one somewhere).

I feel that “infrastructure” is part of MTB, but not synonymous with it. As
far as ЭВМ is concerned,
I perceive a major difference between it and компьютер. In my perception,
ЭВМ encapsulates
the concept of “mainframe.”

Just my $0.02.

Steve