Infrastruktura = material'no-tekhnicheskaya baza?

Tue Apr 11 17:15:11 UTC 2006

Steve Marder wrote:

> I feel that “infrastructure” is part of MTB, but not synonymous with
> it.

I'd be interested to know what types of things fall within МТБ but
outside "infrastructure."

> As far as ЭВМ is concerned, I perceive a major difference between it
> and компьютер. In my perception, ЭВМ encapsulates the concept of
> “mainframe.”

That could be due to two different factors -- one is that "ЭВМ" is a
relatively older (some might say obsolescent) term from Soviet days,
whereas "компьютер" has more of a trendy modern flavor; and the other is
that 20 years ago mainframes were prevalent and PCs were just getting
started, whereas nowadays PCs are ubiquitous and mainframes are limited
to heavy-duty business and industrial applications. So given these two
realia, it's only natural that the older "ЭВМ" would be associated with
the older mainframe technology and the newer "компьютер" would be
associated with the newer PC technology.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com