Infrastruktura = material'no-tekhnicheskaya baza?

Maryna Vinarska vinarska at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 11 23:23:39 UTC 2006

Steve Marder <asred at COX.NET> wrote:I feel that “infrastructure” is part of MTB, but not synonymous with it.
.........................I feel the opposite, to tell the truth... It is complicated. Let's not confuse English "infrastructure" (I trust you, so let it be MTB) and the Russian word "infrastruktura".
So... MTB vs "infrastruktura" (Russian word!).
MTB  is actually resources, any "predprijatie" needs to produce smth. It belongs exclusively to "predprijatie".
"Infrastruktura" (Russian word!!!) USED to mean smth different. The word was sometimes used by a plant director ("direktor zavoda"), for example, or any other person from the staff to describe not only MTB, but the following as well: part of the railroad running near the plant territory, this plant was responsible of, a local kindergarden and a local hospital, or maybe even a library, that the plant had to provide with heat, electricity, etc.
So "infrastruktura" (Russian word) USED to be "shire". And they used to say "nasha infrastruktura", meaning all I mentioned above.
But it was actually not their "infrastruktura", no matter that they said "nasha". That was "infrastruktura goroda" or maybe "oblasti". I
I remember that it was smth that foreign businessmen were not able to understand at all. I once heard, for example: "You are either in sugar business or in railroad business. You can't be in both..." They couldn't understand, why one sugar plant had to provide all those recepients I mentioned, the railroad included, with electricity, heat, etc. As to this particular plant, that was practically bought by a joint venture, I know for sure that it was either 1994 or 1995. This means that up to that time "infrastruktura" meant a lot of things that "predprijatie" did not need to PRODUCE smth. You have to ask smb who knows what "planovaja ekonomika" is if you have to translate smth from that era. I was only interpreting. So this is what I remember.
I don't know what "infrastruktura" means nowadays. Theoretically, it must be the same with MTB now, but who knows. I will call smb tomorrow and ask what is what in my part of the world now because I want to know it myself. Novogodnie elki po vsemy gorodu kto-to uzhe neskol'ko let vnov' ochen' khorosho nariazhaet. Ochen' krasivye teper'. Znachit, na kogo-to ikh "povesili" (colloq.) Znachit, oni v chjej-to infrastrukture, ili gorodskikh vlastej ili neposredstvenno blizlezhashchikh predprijatij.  But you don't need "novogodnije elki" to produce smth. Right? I will find out.
Regards,
MV