Kaverznyi vopros: $64,000

Timothy Sergay tsergay at COLUMBUS.RR.COM
Thu Apr 13 14:33:57 UTC 2006

Oops! It's of course sixty-four THOUSAND dollar question (thank you,
Alina). Apresyan had it wrong, too, and I copied it without
reflecting on it. The title of a TV game show in which this amount
was the stake, I believe. The sense is, though, a bit deflected from
what it seems you're after. "That's the $64,000 question" means
"that's the issue on which everything hinges [depends]," in other
words, if we only knew the answer to THAT question, everything else
would be clear [simple to accomplish].