Kaverznyi vopros: $64,000

Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Thu Apr 13 15:54:16 UTC 2006

Tim can be right and Apresyan can be right too. The original
game-show was on the radio in the 1940's, "Take it or Leave it", and
had a $64 question. Then TV came along and, with it, inflation of the
prize amounts, and there was indeed a show called "The 64 thousand
dollar question".
See http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/wftwarch.pl?060705 (the site of the
Merriam-Webster Company, which publishes dictionaries).

--

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
fax 607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu