Onegin et al. (correction & reply)

atacama at global.co.za atacama at global.co.za
Sun Apr 16 09:53:35 UTC 2006

Dear Dr. Daniel Rancour-Laferriere,

I understand Edward Dumanis to you very well.
You are giving the image of promoting the
Gay-Culture, which has taken on quasi-political status
in the Western World, and is a 21st c. (late 20th
c.) phenomenon, trying to use poor Onegin as a vehicle,
but this has very little to do with 19th century reality
of Tatyana's provincial Russia or the elite salons of
St. Petersburg.

Toying with such notions is one thing, and can be quite
amusing for this Listserv, but I am alarmed when such
notions are taken seriously or overworked.

Therein lies the crux of the matter.

With respects,

Vera Beljakova
Johannesburg

,
I have read your message several times, and I cannot understand it,
especially your usage of the word "political."  Please try to distill
your message into a single straightforward paragraph so that I can give
a simple and direct response.

Thank you,

Sincerely,
Daniel Rancour-Laferriere