podkidnoy durak

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Tue Apr 18 15:26:26 UTC 2006

Dear Mr. Chandler,

The term "pokidnoy durak" was new to me, but I have played a lot of
just "durak," "perevodnoi durak," and have heard of the somewhat
libelously named "chukchansky durak " -- the Russian Wikipedia site
refers to this variant as "Francuski Durak."  Having read the website
description of "pokidnoy durak" it looks as if it is just plain ol'
"durak" as I played it with friends as a college student.

Unfortunately, I can think of no easy English equivalent to this game.
I would be very curious to know if anyone else knows of perhaps an old
and forgotten card game that Austen's folk may have played that
resembles it, but my guess would be that a European card game (ie.
non-Anglo) may be a closer cousin.

Things that I can say:  This is not a trick-taking game (so Bridge,
Hearts, Spades, Whist, etc. are not good translations); neither is it a
game like Rummy where you try to collect cards, and it is not Cribbage.
  It is not a betting game (well, I can't think how one might bet in
"durak") so Poker won't help.  Old Maid (unless Old Maid once had
different rules) is not close because that involves grabbing cards from
your opponents' hands; and Go Fish is not anywhere close.  The closest
game I can think of is -- and this is a VERY distant cousinship -- is
Crazy Eights since the goal for both is to get rid of cards and to
"cover" the last card played with a card of the same number or suit
(durak allows up to six to cover and in Crazy 8's you draw from the
deck if you can't play rather than picking up the stack of played
cards, and there are a few other major differences).  Unfortunately, I
imagine that Crazy 8's would probably would sound out of place in your
context.

Why not just skip the issue and say that "the lightly wounded spent
their time playing cards and flirting with the middle-aged nurses."
You say that this does not come up again in the story, so the exact
nature of the card game is not of great relevance.  That would be my
suggestion at any rate.

Regards,

Emily Saunders