podkidnoy durak

FRISON Philippe Philippe.FRISON at COE.INT
Tue Apr 18 14:24:16 UTC 2006

Dear Mr Chandler,

Here is a link to a site with this card game: "http://w3.vitebsk.by/games/durak/"

And here is a link to an explanation of the rules:

http://games.mnogo.ru/durak/

As I am not an English-speaker, I cannot suggest a proper British ot an American equivalent.

But the game seems to me slighly more elaborate than the French "Mistigri", or its British "Old maid" card games,
but this latter name would bring us back to Onegin's thematic...

Philippe

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list [mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Robert Chandler
Sent: mardi 18 avril 2006 15:55
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] away from Onegin; on to "vicarious" and to CARD GAMES

Dear all,

> I think it would be worthwhile if contributors to the list might give
> consideration to moving on to the rich trove of other commonly held
> intellectual interests.  This topic is, of course, vital and
> inexhaustible
(and no one should be
> silenced ever in the history of humankind), but we could return to it
> even more refreshed than we now are if we took a break and argued
> about something else.

I second Professor Condee's wise proposal and will take the opportunity to repeat my own recent small and, I hope, easily exhaustible question about the card game called 'podkidnoy durak':

This card game figures at least twice in Vasily Grossman's last rasskazy.  A sentence in the story 'V Kislovodske' begins, Легкораненые играли в подкидного дурака, крутили любовь с пожилыми сестрами....  (Legkoranenye igrali v podkidnogo duraka, krutili lyubov' s pozhilymi sestrami...)

Any suggestions as to how I should translate this?  The game is not going to be mentioned again in this particular story.

Thanks in advance - and best wishes,

Robert