on to "vicarious"

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Tue Apr 18 17:14:48 UTC 2006

>I thought about the same term "oposredovannyj" but it seems that in this
>context Kenneth Katzner's dictionary has a better solution. It gives
>"chuzhoj" as the translation of "vicarious."  Then "Vicarious Catastrophe"
>becomes "Chuzhaja avarija."

I'd like to disagree with Katzner. "chuzhoj" is opposed to "svoj" in
Russian: Chuzhaja nosha ne tjanet, Svoja rubashka blizhe k telu. Someone
else's has no effect on you. Vicarious, on the other hand, is what you
experience second-hand, so to speak. One may get vicarious pleasure from
gift giving, for ex. Cambridge dictionary gives "vicarious thrill from
watching motor racing". Granted, vacarious is more common in English, but
so are many other psychological terms. While it's possible to find
"opsredovannoe udovol'stvie", it's not so easy with catastrophes, because
in this case Russians "sochuvstvujut" or "soperezhivajut".

 Alina Israeli
 LFS, American University
 4400 Mass. Ave., NW
 Washington, DC 20016