podkidnoy durak

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Wed Apr 19 04:02:06 UTC 2006

For what it is worth this game (described as "President" on the website
you give) I have actually played in Russia under another name -- Govno,
I think.  It's a bit like the card game "Bullshit" -- and I apologize
for the epithets, but these are the names of the games -- however, the
key elements include changing seats at the end of each round and the
exchange of cards according to the "social status" obtained during the
last hand.  I have some uproarious memories of playing Govno with a
huge group of friends on a Primorsky beach in the summertime, with us
kicking sand all round at the end of each hand as we switched places...

The associations I've always had with Durak is that it is a
college-student (possibly army recruit), on long train trips, visiting
grandparents type of card game.  It's perhaps a bit of a working class
game, but I would say that it lacks the strong childhood associations
that games like Go Fish, Old Maid, and Crazy 8's have for your average
American card player.

(Erik:  Thanks for the www.pagat.com website address -- I was delighted
to find rules for tysyacha (1000) there.  Memories from college dorm
late-night card sessions come flooding back...)

Regards,

Emily Saunders