The Best WAR & PEACE English Translation of All Time?

Pendergast, J. MAJ DFL John.Pendergast at USMA.EDU
Wed Apr 26 21:32:10 UTC 2006

Tim-

There was a great article that went a long way toward answering this
unanswerable question by David Remnick in the New Yorker in November
2005, called "The Translation Wars," but a cursory search of the
internet does not pull it up.  In my humble opinion, no translation
captures the sense of the Tolstoy original as closely as the one done
closest to the source, Louise and Aylmer Maude.  The Norton Critical
Edition edited by George Gibian and based on the Maude translations also
contains an immense amount of interesting background information and
critical material.  No doubt your post will generate numerous divergent
opinions.

-John Pendergast

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of tim dukes
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:05 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] The Best WAR & PEACE English Translation of All
Time?

Hi All,

After many years of procrastination I'm finally about to start reading
the greatest novel of all time by the great Count Tolstoy.  I'll be
reading an English translation though and want to make sure that I am
reading the best of these.  Does anyone have any opinions on this
matter?

Thanks,

Tim