The Best WAR & PEACE English Translation of All Time?

Sarah Hurst sarahhurst at ALASKA.NET
Thu Apr 27 18:40:21 UTC 2006

I have no opinion about the review because I haven't actually read the
Briggs translation, but Mona Simpson wrote the introduction to an edition of
the Constance Garnett translation of Tolstoy, and she's a novelist rather
than a "writing-program type". I just think that attacking the messenger is
somewhat weak, sorry.

Sarah Hurst