Vysotskii & old ballads (cont.) & "Ochi chernye" & Hrebinka

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Wed Aug 2 20:21:37 UTC 2006

The biographies of Jevhen Pavlovych Hrebinka (the author of "Chernye
ochi," which served as the basis for "Ochi chernye") posted by Pani
Natalia mention one of his lyrics that became a Ukrainian folksong,
namely, "Ni, mamo, ne mozhna neliuba liubyt'." The text is about a young
woman driven to an early grave because her mother pressed her to marry
someone she didn't love so that the daughter wouldn't be left all alone
when the mother died. This is only one example of many songs about what
Ivan Franko, in an 1883 paper, called "zhinocha nevolia."  Franko's
essay inspired me to write a paper ("Zhenskaia nevolia v ukrainskich i
evereiskich narodnykh pesniakh"), the original publication of which is
so obscure that even I have not seen the (allegedly) published version.
For those interested, however, a revised English translation is
available in an on-line publication at
http://www.umass.edu/judaic/anniversaryvolume/Templates/articles/14-C2-Rothstein.pdf,

Bob Rothstein