correction

Inna Caron caron.4 at OSU.EDU
Sun Aug 6 18:51:22 UTC 2006

Apologies for misspelling the Countess Annenkov's maiden name. I
attempted Latinizing it phonetically, but upon checking the French
sources it turned out to be spelled "Gueble."

IC

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Inna Caron
Sent: Sunday, August 06, 2006 2:10 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Russian women travellers

Hi Sara!

One thing that instantly comes to mind, is the memoir of Pauline Gebel,
the French-born wife of the Decembrist Ivan Annenkov, which contains
some information about her travel to Siberia, when she followed him to
katorga. It was published under her Russian name, Praskov'ia Ivanovna
Annenkova (Annenkova P. I. Vospominaniia, Krasnoiarsk, 1977).

There is a website devoted to "sibirskaia zhenskaia memuaristika XIX-go
veka." There are many bibliographic references there. Here's the link,
perhaps you will find something useful there:
http://new.hist.asu.ru/biblio/skubnevski/Mathanova.html

See you in Washington,

Inna

Inna Caron, Ohio State University