Father Zosima

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Mon Aug 7 01:51:00 UTC 2006

6 August 06

Dear Colleagues,

I want to thank you for your generous responses to my question,

> My question is this: what are the sources for the idea that the body
> of a very holy monk will not decay?  Is this a folk belief in Russian
> or other Slavic cultures?  Does the belief come in from Byzantium, or
> from other non-Slavic cultures?

I have forwarded your responses to a psychologist friend who is doing
research on religion and death, and who initially asked me about the
fuss over Father Zosima's corpse in Dostoevsky's _Brothers Karamazov_.

Regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere