one more question on kukharka

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri Aug 11 16:50:19 UTC 2006

>On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Alina Israeli wrote:
>
>....................../snip/...............
>> Povarixa has a negative overtone, while kukharka does not:
>
>I disagree. Pushkin's Tsar Sultan (Saltan) says:
>"Bud' odna iz vas tkachihoj, a drugaja povarihoj" as an award for the
>sisters' promisses.

Not awards but punishement: they have not been chosen for a bride. So a
nice "devica" all of a sudden is relegated to the low role of a tkachixa or
povarixa while their sister is chosen to marry the czar! As the result all
of the following venom and vengeance. As the second best he could have at
least found them some other dobryj molodec or boyarin for a husband, but
no, he sent one into the kitchen and the other into the weaving shop.

Did you really think it was an award all of your life? I can't believe it!

 Alina Israeli
 LFS, American University
 4400 Mass. Ave., NW
 Washington, DC 20016