pronunciation

Elena Nikolaenko nem at ONLINE.DEBRYANSK.RU
Sun Aug 20 08:29:35 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues!

I absolutely agree with the opinions about teaching pronunciation.

I for one had a great teacher of phonetics and she made us feel what hard
work it was, it made you sweat. We

- did many drills - sound, intonation patterns etc as for Russian speakers
it's rather problematic to manage reduction, not to drawl words, to speak
with the due speed of speech

- then we read carefully texts and short dialogues read by native speakers
and learnt them by heart and were to pronounce them the way they were on
the tape. The teacher was very hard on us with imitating all those rise-
falls, fall-rises etc, a slight slip of the tongue - no good mark, either
you sound English or...

- on a more advanced level we listened to texts and marked the intonation
with the teacher, then even a more difficult task - we chose texts to our
liking, marked the intonation ourselves and practised sounds (to sound
English) at home and then cited the texts in class as news readers on the
radio or the like

- and of 'cos each lesson little tests on sounds, intonation patters and
the like.

Even those with tin ears were to admit that they learnt successfully.

Listening to songs, watching films etc in English was even a thing which
didn't need discussion - naturally everybody did it.

Sincerely,
Nikolaenko Elena
ass. prof.
English Philology Department