Typing Accented Vowels in Windows

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Tue Aug 29 17:27:11 UTC 2006

Bruno,

Where, exactly, outside of MS Word do you wish to type accented Cyrillic letters?

I've pasted below Paul Gallagher's excellent workaround solution for inserted accented characters in MS Word. I imagine the method would work for any program that 1) allows macros; 2) allows overlapping characters.

I've never found a solution for accented characters in HTML, since HTML cannot handle overlapping characters and there are no slots in Unicode for accented Cyrillic. The only solution I've found is to convert documents to Adobe Acrobat and  embed them into Web documents.

mad
***
Here's Paul's answer from a 2002 email:
AFAIK Unicode doesn't include accented Cyrillic, so you will have to
compose them using equation fields. Not to worry -- these are not math
equations.

A valid equation field for overlapping two characters looks like this:
{eq \o(a,´)}
or { eq \o(a,´)}
where a and ´ are the letters you want to overlap.

N.B. 1. There MUST be a space character after "eq"
and there MUST NOT be a space character after ")."
2. The braces must be entered using CTRL-F9.

Now obviously, you don't want to make these things by hand for every
character -- it would take forever. So write a macro. This oughta do it.
Comments are [bracketed]. Each line represents one keystroke.

Place the cursor just after a character you wish to accent.
Begin recording.
SHIFT-left arrow [select the character left of the cursor]
CTRL-F9 [create a field containing the selected character]
space
\
(
right arrow
,
ALT-0180 [be sure to type all four numbers from number pad
without releasing ALT key. This inserts the acute accent]
)
DEL [removes final space before end of field]
F9 [updates field to show the result]
Stop recording.
Name and save your macro and assign it to a keyboard shortcut.

To use the macro, just put the cursor after the character in question
and hit the keyboard shortcut.

If your fields do not update, but continue to look like this:
{eq \o(a,´)}
Go to Tools | Options, "View" tab, and clear the check next to "Field
Codes."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
   Dr. Michael A. Denner
   Editor, Tolstoy Studies Journal