distressing news

Condee condee at PITT.EDU
Wed Aug 30 15:06:15 UTC 2006

<<Who is Lawrence Welk??>>

First off (for the impatient amongst us), there is a SEELANGS connection:
Welk was born to German Catholic immigrants from pre-1917 Russia.  See this
link to "Famous Germans from Russia":
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~steeles/gerrus/

On a more intellectual note, here is the Welk Musical Family blog and the
Welk website.  Don your coral jumpsuit and fasten your turquoise seatbelt:

http://welkmusicalfamily.blogspot.com/

http://www.welkmusicalfamily.com/

Prof. Nancy Condee, Director
Graduate Program for Cultural Studies
2206 Posvar Hall
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
412-624-7232

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of John Dunn
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 10:53 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] distressing news

Three quick points.  Andrew Lloyd Webber will bear responsibility (take the
blame?) only for the music.  Much will depend on his collaborator
(presumably not Sir Tim Rice, too busy playing cricket and being a general
pillar of the establishment). Second,  I saw this story attributed to the
Daily Mail, not the ideal source for assessing Lloyd Webber's grasp of the
intellectual compexities of the novel.  And finally, bearing in mind the
learned disquisitions that have appeared on this list concerning the
complexities of international copyright law, the date of Bulgakov's death
and the publishing history of the novel, I am far from convinced that it is
in the public domain.   Let us all pause in our endeavours, pour ourselves a
refreshing drink and just for a moment contemplate the prospect of A.Ll.W.
(or one of his many minions) tramping through half the lawyers' offices of
Europe trying to establish who exactly does own the copyright.  And then
having to sell the other half of his wine cellar to pay for the rights.

Do we not all feel much better?

John Dunn.

P.S. Who is Lawrence Welk??