CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS

Mark Yoffe yoffe at GWU.EDU
Wed Aug 30 16:05:40 UTC 2006

CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS: 15 Years Later: past and present in Soviet/
post-Soviet popular music

15 years since the fall of the Soviet Union it is important to re-
examine our views of popular music under the Soviet regime and to
newly examine the present situation in which post-Soviet popular
music finds itself in.

It goes without saying that the last 15 years brought tremendous
changes in the world of Russian and non-Russian popular music in the
countries of the Former Soviet Union. Initially an identity crisis
brought about by the loss of the role of spiritual, cultural, and
political leadership on the cultural arena that was one of the main
characteristics of Soviet popular music community reigned. This was
followed by a period of self discovery, re-discovery and adaptations
to the new socio-economic, cultural and political reality. Popular
music was subjected to new forces of market economy: issues brought
up by management, image making, marketing, advertisement, etc.
Ideologically and stylistically popular music covered a wide span of
attitudes, styles, beliefs and trends, from ultra nationalist root
folk to sleek Westernized pop and more. We suggest examining these
trends and movements closely from as wide as possible variety of
points of view: social, political, cultural, stylistic,
anthropological, musicological etc.

We also invite discussions and revisionist theories of Soviet popular
music, to provide a fresh view of this phenomenon, from the distance
of 15 years and rich data and new information accumulated since 1991.

We invite papers dealing with these or other related to the history,
traditions and interpretations of Soviet and post-Soviet popular
music to be delivered at the panel we are proposing for the IASPM
conference in Mexico City 2007.

Please send your abstracts (max. 250 words) to Mark Yoffe
(yoffe at gwu.edu) and David-Emil Wickstroem (davidw at hum.ku.dk) by
october 15th 2006