distressing news

David Borgmeyer dmborgmeyer at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 31 03:05:14 UTC 2006

Dear Colleagues,

I just have to wonder how many people have actually read Hugo's Les
Miserables after seeing the ALW musical.  In fact, a couple of years ago a
student told me she didn't need to read Hugo because she had already seen
the musical "version."

Will an M&M opera put a few more students in our Russian classrooms?  Maybe,
but I fear the violence likely to be done to Bulgakov's work in the process
is probably not worth it.

DB