distressing news

Evelina Mendelevich emendelevich at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 31 05:10:39 UTC 2006

We seem to forget that Bulgakov used familiar myths/legends/texts-and
modified them-to suit his purposes in his artistic endeavors. I am sure that
not all Christians are comfortable with the character of Jesus portrayed by
Bulgakov. I don't see why Webber can't use the novel to his purposes, just
as Bulgakov used several texts to his. Perhaps Webber is about to do
something quite different with M&M, perhaps many critics are not going to be
comfortable with his "popular" vision addressing the "philistine" audience.
But if it is this particular audience he is addressing, let us leave it to
this audience to judge his work. If people will enjoy it, if they will be
inspired by it in one way or another-where is harm? If the prospect of
seeing this show is so distressing-why go see it? Why even think about it?

There are many themes to be explored in the novel-major and minor-why not
choose the one that appeals to many? Will it ruin Bulgakov's work? I don't
see how. Will it introduce it to some? I see that as a realistic
possibility. Critics seem to forget that the works they judge are not their
property, and, in fact, in their judgments, they are not much different from
people like Webber-that is, they explore what in their opinion is important
and valuable. But, in fact, as some have pointed out already, far more
people might benefit from seeing Webber's production than from reading
sophisticated and often esoteric academic works on the subject. In any case,
censorship-and such harsh judgments almost amount to that-is definitely not
something Bulgakov would have appreciated.