NATIVE/HERITAGE SPEAKERS OF RUSSIAN IN THE LANGUAGE CLASSROOM

Jane Shuffelton Shuffelton at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 3 02:50:49 UTC 2006

Dear Professor Polowy,

I have had the situation of mixed heritage/native speaker and traditional
learners in classes for almost two decades in Brighton High School, Rochester,
NY. I realize that of course there are differences between high school and
post-secondary situations, but even so, the issues involved are surely  similar.

 One factor that should help at some point will be the forthcoming  Advanced
Placement Examination in Russian.  This year it will be open by  invitation
only, but we expect it to be available to all in 2006-2007.   Departments could
then presumable make policy that top scores on that exam would  determine
placement in upper level courses, and students could not fake their  way into
elementary level classes.

As for approaches to teaching these mixed groups, you might take a look at
the workshops that are available on the web at _www.learner.org_
(http://www.learner.org) .  The foreign language  part of this site includes videos of
discussions by language professionals on a  number of issues, and one of them
definitely focuses on mixed classes of various  sorts.  The videos of classes in
action are also valuable.  As I  remember, there is one of a Chinese high school
class with a mix of native  speakers and traditional learners.

Good luck with this!

Jane Shuffelton