Faked placement might hve their logic

atacama at global.co.za atacama at global.co.za
Fri Feb 3 11:10:08 UTC 2006

Trying to enter at the elementary level might have a very good reason,
besides trying to obtain high marks with little effort.

Take my case: I am what would be called a Russian-language
heritage speaker, born of Russian/German parents in Berlin,
with home language Russian & some German, and then entered
the British school/university system.

Although my spoken Russian and German were excellent, I didn't
really understand grammar at all.   I was pushed into the higher
classes, eventually obtained a degree - but I am still extremely
sorry that I never had elementary classes where simple grammar is
taught..... I now do high level translations, but don't really
understand grammar.

I also spoke Spanish, but had the good fortune to re-start it at
elementary level in London thus obtaining a good foundation of grammar,
which I really think is essential in any language.

I would suggest for students in such a position to be give
crash courses in basic language before they proceed to higher
levels.

V Bell.