PTU: What exactly is it?

Maryna Vinarska vinarska at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 3 17:49:17 UTC 2006

"Paul B. Gallagher" <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM> wrote:    Dear colleagues,

Could someone explain please what exactly the Russians mean by
"Профессионально-теÑ
ническое училище"?

• admission requirements (qualifying exam? transcript? age? I've seen
descriptions on the web that say all you need is to finish 9th grade)

  Twenty years ago it was like this:
  No qualifying exam.
  No one cared what grades the student had in his or her transcript because normally those having bad grades and not planning to go to the university went to PTU.
  When the school time was 10 years, all one needed was to finish the 8th grade. This was the so called "nezakonchennoe srednee obrazovanie", I mean 8 years. And those 8 years were absolutely obligatory. Now it's probably 9 years.

• term of study (two years? I've seen descriptions that say as little as
six months to as much as two years)

  Yes, it was and I think it is still different.

• resulting degree or qualification

  It depends on the term of study. It may be a profession with or without "zakonchennoe srednee obrazovanie" depending on the term of study.

Do I understand correctly that this is "terminal" in the sense that the
student is not expected to go on to higher education? (excluding, of
course, FPK)?

  No. It's not like this.
  It depends on the term of study and on the fact if "zakonchennoe srednee obrazovanie bylo polucheno" during the time in PTU. So it's not necessarily "terminal". You should look at what you have in the text of the certificate. If it says that its owner "poluchil zakonchennoe srednee obrazovanie vmeste so spezial'nost'iu", this means that he could go to the university at least in the country where he got that certificate.

Do I understand correctly that this is *not* post-secondary education --
that the student does not first complete high school and then enter a
PTU, but attends a PTU *instead of* conventional high school?

  Right.

  The
client wants it to come across as equivalent to community college,
giving an associate's degree, and my impression is that it is less than
that, more like a trade school.

  Here I am no help.

  Sometimes it determines both.
  Maryna Vinarska

--
Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.

options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: