'30 Ukrainian film "Earth," composer Ovchinnikov, etc.

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Mon Feb 6 08:11:03 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues and Prof Mills:

Dovzhenko's film "Earth" ("Zemlia/Zemlya") in its 1930 Ukrainian original was released
without a sound track.  (The USSR didn't have sound-recording equipment suitable for
feature-length fictional films until a year or so later; see Kozintsev's "Alone" and Ekk's
"Road to Life.")

In the USSR in 1971, "Earth" was restored as a sound film, with a music track composed
by Viacheslav (Vyacheslav) Ovchinnikov.  (Blue link to Ovchinnikov attached below.***)
Evidently Dovzhenko's original negative had been lost in the USSR during WW2, and
the only complete (or nearly complete) film copy that the Soviets could find, to use as
a source for their '71 restoration,  was a used,  somewhat worn & scratched,  circulation
copy of this classic.  (A bit like a book publisher having lost the printing plates of a
great novel, finding only one complete but well-used copy in a library, and relying on
a xerox copy from that one used copy, to put the novel back into print again.  Better
some copy than no copy...)

   ***   http://home.wanadoo.nl/ovar/ovchin.htm

 In 1975 the U.S. company "Blackhawk Films" (a.k.a. Eastin-Phelan Corp.), managed by
David Shepard, then as now an outstanding collector and restorer of rare film classics,
got a copy of the USSR's restored "Earth" and  asked me to translate the Russian [not
Ukrainian] intertitles to English and to write an introduction to the film.  Which I did
30 years ago, and Blackhawk Films  put "Earth" into American circulation, complete
with the 1971 Soviet music track.  (My name appeared in the credits as translator.)
At this moment I don't have handy the "Kino" DVD version (2003), but since Mr
Shepard has contributed a number of restored filmic gems to "Kino's" available
inventory on video & DVD, it's not unlikely  that "Kino" offers on DVD the '75
"Blackhawk" version, which in its turn came from the '71 Soviet restoration.  So
perhaps the current music track, about which Prof Mills inquires, came from the
same source.

Best wishes to all,
Steven P. Hill,
University of Illinois.