Lettish/Latvian scripture and liturgy

Sandor Foldvari armastus at FREEMAIL.HU
Wed Feb 8 20:49:53 UTC 2006

Dear Professor Kim Braithwaite;

The German influence was very strong and this is not the
only book and only example of this influence.

The LAtvian alphabet has been reformed in the first part of
20 c. The so-called "old spelling and writing" was formed
in 16 and codified in 17 c. It was replaced by the new system
in the first half of 20 c. the last is which you may be familiar with.

Ozols, Arturs: Veclatviešu rakstu valoda, Riga, 1965. pp. 69-93.
Rudzite, Marta: Latviešu valodas vesturiska fonetika. Riga, 1993. 35-36,
41-42, 61.

The codification of the Bible (mainly) by Ernst Glück (in Latvian: Glicks).

The new system of LAtvian ortography by Janis Endzelins, the greatest
LAtvian linguist. His collected works are being held in my flat :) but,
I very mean, you may find these in the main libraries around the world.

I should mention Professor Schmalstieg (maybe, on the list) who
is not only a correct linguist but the editor of some books by Endzelins,
too. You may consult his works in libraries, too. Or him.

Last, but non least, on the German influence on languages of the
Baltic sea region: Ariste, Paul: Keelekontaktid. Tallinn, 1981.

Let me notice, I mean Ariste's work is limited for he did not have
good contacts with the emmigration in Sweden (both LAtvian and
Estonian) in consequence of the Soviet era.

As for church liturgy and language, I could consult my former
friends in the Baltics. My experiences in Estonia shows that the
innovations and purism are hot topics in the Baltics and I mean
the situation in LAtvia is similar to it. When I was in Riga six years
ago it was; some working papers on church terms in the Baltic
region have been published in Hungary, Savaria University Press,
Bernsteinstrasse-Project (Amber Way project), on several conferences.

I propose to continue discussion off-list.
If sb is involved in the topic, do not hesitate to full me with mails.

Now I am hurrying so data are given at once mainly by memory.

Regards,
Sándor Földvári
lecturer, Baltic studies,
Debrecen University, Hungary

Sandor Foldvari, research fellow; cell-phone +36-30-4332353
KÉREM, N E LEGYEN BENNE LEVÉLSZÖVEGEM A VÁLASZBAN!!
Please, do NOT include my letter into the replay text!! Thanks!!

Kim Braithwaite <kbtrans at COX.NET> írta:

> I'm curious about the language of an 1890 Lettish New Testament -
Ta Jauna Derriba - that I acquired decades ago (teenage hobby). It is
printed in Gothic/Fraktur script, and the orthography is quite unlike that
of today's standard Latvian. Even more intriguing is the use of tas or ta
(meaning "that") to mean "the" in noun phrases. Although I don't know
Latvian - Russian and Georgian are my main languages - I do know that
normal Latvian never did have the definite article. For all I know this NT
may contain other violations of normal Latvian grammar as well.

> My untutored hunch is that this version of the NT was translated from
the German, and that the insistent use of tas and ta, along with any
other deviations, somehow reflects either a crude translation or a
deliberate aping, so to speak, of German der, die, das etc. In the front
of the book there is a nihil obstat in German from the St Petersburg
Lutheran office and a "Passed by censor" in Russian, dated Riga. I'm
also aware that the Bible has been translated into regular Latvian since
the time of my NT version.

> Questions to anyone who knows:
>
> (1) Do any of today's Latvian clergy and church-goers still cling to Ta
Jauna Derriba, for liturgy or readings or whatever? It is well known that
believers who are brought up on the sacred language of original
translations of scripture almost universally tend to resist modernization
or even correction (cf the King James Bible).

> (2) Can you refer me to a brief history of the Lettish/Latvian version?
>
> Thanks! Mr Kim Braithwaite, Translator

>   options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web
Interface at: