Vronsky's Finances

Adrian Wanner ajw3 at PSU.EDU
Mon Feb 13 21:04:31 UTC 2006

Dear SEELANGERS,
I am currently teaching Anna Karenina.  Today my students asked me a
question that had me somewhat stomped.  In Part 3, Chapter XIX, we
learn that Vronsky lives on straightened financial means, mainly
because the income from his father's fortune was unequally divided
between him and his brother.  In addition his mother has cut off her
allowance because she is angry with him over his liaison with Anna.
However, in the second half of the novel Vronky is obviously flush
with money.  Where does it come from?
I can only think of one explanation: he reneged on the inheritance
deal with his brother and is now claiming 50% of the income from his
father's fortune.  This is something that before he had explicitly
rejected. Tolstoy tells us that "he had only to recall his brother's
wife, recall how that dear, sweet Varya reminded him at every chance
that she remembered his generosity and appreciated it, to understand
the impossibility of taking back what had been given.  It was as
impossible as stealing, lying, or striking a woman"
(Pevear-Volokhonsky translation, p.304).
If Vronsky did indeed "betray" his brother and sister-in-law and his
own honor code, Tolstoy never tells us so.  In fact, his brother
doesn't seem to be particularly mad at him.
Does anyone have a better explanation?
Thanks,
Adrian Wanner
Adrian J. Wanner
Head, Department of Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures
Professor of Russian and Comparative Literature
The Pennsylvania State University
313 Burrowes Building
University Park, PA 16802

Tel. (814) 865-5481