Vronsky's Finances

Elif Batuman alif at STANFORD.EDU
Mon Feb 13 21:50:25 UTC 2006

If it's true that Vronsky "reneged on the deal" with his brother, this
casts a really interesting light on Part 7 Ch 24-25, in which Anna and
Vronsky *almost* escape to the country and live happily ever after, except
that Vronsky has to stay in Petersburg  to collect "a power of attorney and
some money" from his mother.
(In this chapter Vronsky also mentions selling a horse, Gambetta - and in
the passage you cite, back in Part 3, one of his solutions was to start
selling his horses.  But it does seem clear that they couldn't have been
living all this time on the proceeds from a few horses.)

This episode with the money and power of attorney triggers the most
vituperative argument between Anna and Vronsky, and leads directly to
Anna's suicide.  There is a particular logic to this if their whole romance
was financed by a broken promise.

It's also interesting that, in Part 5, Varya disappoints her brother-in-law,
Vronsky, by refusing to socialize with Anna.
If Vronsky betrayed Varya by taking back the gift he gave her, and giving it
to Anna, then there is a certain symmetry in Varya's refusal to befriend
Anna.