Vronsky's Finances

Slivkin, Yevgeny Yevgeny.Slivkin at MONTEREY.ARMY.MIL
Tue Feb 14 00:22:42 UTC 2006

Dear Professor Wanner,

My dissertation relates to the reflections of the Medieval Code of Chivalry
in Russian literature of the 19th century. I view Vronsky as an exemplary
upholder of the Russian military nobleman's code of honor. Even his
attempted suicide, as I argue in my dissertation, should be read in the
context as an "American duel" with Karenin (when two adversaries draw lots
and the one who loses is obliged to shoot himself; ironically, in America in
the 19th century this was called a "Russian duel"). It seems to me unlikly
that Vronsky reneged on his deal with his brother.

There are some other possible explanations for Vronsky's influx of cash.
Noblemen in the 19th century could often "outrun the constable" (zhit' v
dolg). Or Vronsky could have won the money by playing "shtoss" with a fellow
officer. The sums one could win or lose in this card game in that milieu at
that time were fantastic.

Sincerely,

Yevgeny Slivkin
Defense Language Institute