Query about US belief

nataliek at UALBERTA.CA nataliek at UALBERTA.CA
Thu Feb 16 00:21:07 UTC 2006

This is not exactly a SEELANGS question, but I thought I would ask.

I am teaching a course on Ukrainian folk belief and one of the topics we cover
is folk healers (babky) and witches (vid'my).  We talk about the process by
which folk healers can so easily be accussed of witchcraft.  To give them a
contemporary example, I used Wayne Gretzky who is an icon of goodness and
virtue (as well as athletic prowess) here in Edmonton, Canada, and the
accussations of his involvement in the sports gambling scandal.  The students
asked me to what extent people were interested in Gretzky in the States.  I
said I would ask.

Natalie Kononenko
Kule Chair of Ukrainian Ethnography
University of Alberta