Query about US belief

Thu Feb 16 00:48:22 UTC 2006

Natalie Kononenko wrote:

> This is not exactly a SEELANGS question, but I thought I would ask.
>
> I am teaching a course on Ukrainian folk belief and one of the topics
> we cover is folk healers (babky) and witches (vid'my).  We talk about
> the process by which folk healers can so easily be accussed of
> witchcraft.  To give them a contemporary example, I used Wayne
> Gretzky who is an icon of goodness and virtue (as well as athletic
> prowess) here in Edmonton, Canada, and the accusations of his
> involvement in the sports gambling scandal.  The students asked me to
> what extent people were interested in Gretzky in the States.  I said
> I would ask.

To my deep chagrin, hockey is a minor sport down here, and most people
who don't follow it can only name one player. In hockey towns like
Philadelphia or Detroit, and in the northern parts of the country
generally, you'll get more understanding and name recognition, but most
of the population would be hard-pressed to distinguish the red line from
the blue line, much less name the players.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com