Orthodox liturgy

Elizaveta Moussinova emoussin at INDIANA.EDU
Thu Feb 16 16:14:31 UTC 2006

Dear Giampaolo:

A friend of mine suggested me the following sources. Please see below.

Regards,
Liz Moussinova

From: Richard Barrett <richardtenor at gmail.com>

There's also _On the Divine Liturgy_ by St. Germanus of Constantinople
(available from the Matthew Finke private collection), and _A
Commentary on the Divine Liturgy_ by Nicholas Cabasilas. For a more
historical/critical look but still from an Orthodox perspective,
there's _An Introduction to Liturgical Theology_ by Fr. Alexander
Schmemann. It's also worth checking out the writings of a fifth
century woman named Egeria--she makes some very detailed liturgical
observations while on pilgrimage in Jerusalem (also available from the
Finke collection).

_Forms and Orders of Western Liturgy from the Tenth to the Eighteenth
Century_ by John Harper is also a worthwhile resource for purposes of
comparing the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom to the Mass in its
pre-schismatic form (which, really, is just as legitimately known as
the Divine Liturgy of St. Gregory--per Bard Thompson in _Liturgies of
the Western Church_, "Mass" really just means "dismissal," from "Ite,
missa est" 'Go, the dismissal is' being the literal translation, even
though we get it now as 'Go, the Mass is finished'). The common roots
of the Eastern and Western rites are attested to in some really
remarkable similarities, and even though nowadays the Roman Liturgy
looks and feels much different, the fundamental structural similarity
is still very much there.